Hair/Cosmetology (1500 hours)
In CT, Cosmetology and Hairdressing are terms used interchangeably. Our cosmetology (hairdressing) program transitions you from a creative, willing learner to a confident, licensed hair professional ready to jump into a career. In a positive, “I CAN” learning environment, we deliver the highest quality of hands-on education.
This program provides technical skills and soft skills training to ensure you don’t just pass your state board test—but that you’ll succeed in this industry.
You will learn
- Hair cutting, color and styling (bulk of your training)
- How to work on REAL clients on our student salon floor
- Manicures and pedicures for natural nails
- Makeup (advanced makeup courses are available)
- State Board test preparation
- Customer service, rebooking and retailing
- Soft skills, business knowledge and marketing basics
- Career opportunities
- Resume/portfolio development and interviewing best practices
Let’s Get Started!
Use this form to request information to get started on your cosmetology career journey.
International Institute of Cosmetology has a schedule that will fit YOUR lifestyle, including attending school with time to work and enjoying time off with family and friends.
Traditional 5 Day Schedule
- January 11, 2021
- April 12, 2021
- July 12, 2021
- October 11, 2021
Phase 1 & 4 Schedule
Phase 2 & 3 Schedule
Traditional 5 day Schedule
- January 12, 2021
- July 13, 2021
- October 12, 2021
Tuesday – Saturday
3-day Flex Schedule*
- April 26, 2021
Monday , Wednesday & Friday
- September 21,2021
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
The objective of the Cosmetology program is to train students with all aspects of Cosmetology, so they receive the educational foundation needed to successfully pass the state licensing examination and become a successful professional. IIC uses Pivot Point’s Salon Success program, which helps students prepare for their career. With a strong technical background along with people skills, graduates of IIC will have all the necessary tools to become successful professionals.
Hybrid Instruction- Up to 200 hours may be taught remotely. Resources needed for hybrid instruction- Ipad® (see Ipad® requirement & use policy), internet access, Adobe Reader (free version https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html) and access to online learning platform (LAB) included with student’s kit.
Areas of Study
|Areas of Study||Min Theory (potential remote hrs)||Min Clinical Hrs|
|Sanitation & Hygiene||15||20|
|Anatomy & Physiology||15||0|
|Business & Professional Relations||10||10|
|Hair Care & Treatment||20||200|
|Skin Care, Facials, Make-up||15||80|
|Hair Shaping, Styling & Shaving||75||750|
|State Laws for Barbers and Hairdressers and EEOC guidelines||5||0|
- Complete all of the 1500 clock hours
- Grade average of at least 75%
- Complete all unit and course work requirements
- Complete final mock state board exam
- Pay tuition and other costs in full as stipulated in the contract
CT Cosmetology Licensing Requirement
- Successful completion of a course of not less than 1,500 hours of study in a school approved by the Connecticut State Board for Barbers and Hairdressers or in a school teaching hairdressing, cosmetology or barbering under the supervision of the Connecticut State Board of Education.
- Pass CT Hairdresser State Board Exam
- Completed 9th grade or equivalent
- File licensure application with CT DPH
For up to date licensing information please visit the CT DPH Licensing website here.